Monday, June 24, 2013

New Romance - some of my favorites

I love films, absolutely love films. They're my favorite form of escapism. I also love romantic films more than every other genre, but I have a very specific taste in what kind of these romances I love.

I may seem like an idealist, but I'm a realist at heart. I don't actually believe in true love and all of that hulabaloo. But, I love seeing love unfold realistically, naturally. 

So, I wanted to make a list of these "new romantic" films that have left an impression on me...

The Five-Year Engagement

I chose this film because although it starts out on a chipper note, it quickly leads into something many couples are dealing with in modern times: sacrifice. 

Favorite moment:

Alison Brie and Emily Blunt channel Sesame Street for a sisterly heart-to-heart

~

Blue Valentine
All I can say is, duh!

~

The Way We Were 

This movie is my guilty pleasure. It has everything I need in life: Robert Redford and Barbara Streisand (playing one of my favorite female character, like, ever!) Katie and Hubbell were doomed from the beginning, but - oh! - they were so good together in the meantime.

~

Punch Drunk Love
This movie is my most hopeful. I love it. Everyone is adorable. And weird.

~

Before Sunrise (and its sequels)
Celine and Jesse forever! 

Also, this:

I want to be Julie Delpy being Nina Simone

~

Take This Waltz
Actually, this sums it up. 


This scene - although simple - really struck me for some reason. 

~

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I was 13 when I first stumbled across this film and it still remains one of the best finds of my lifetime and my introduction to French cinema. Also, did I mention it's entirely sung?!

Genevieve (I used to want to name my future progeny this and move to France, just so I could listen to the true melodic ring that this French name has)

-----

Comment with your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik